Tuesday, December 12, 2006

DO TEETH KNOW WHY THEY EXIST?

Blog number sixty-four                                    12 Dec. 2006

I like to eat...

Milk toast.

Fried corn meal mush with butter and syrup.

Bullheads fried in lard.

Sour cream pie made with cream soured on a window sill.

Cinnamon crisps.

Scalloped potatoes like my mother made.

Toffee candy sold at traveling thespian shows.

I don't like to eat...

Squid in any form.

Tacos.

Burritos.

Herbs of any kind in my bread.

Vanilla ice cream bores me.
                                             *************
I read a book many, many years ago called, "Man's Presumptuous Brain."  One of the things it told was that the sphincter muscle called the "duodenum," which connects the small intestine to the stomach, would not open unless it was told to by a small amount of acid.  Not opening, this caused any food eaten to back up into the esophagus.  I had this "disease," but I thought it was acid reflux.  My cure was suggested to me by my daughter-in-law.  It consisted of a tablespoon of unpasteurized vinegar taken before eating.  Worked like a dream.  The only bad thing was that you had to make sure to drink water before you swallowed the vinegar, otherwise you would probably choke on it.  The fumes, I think.

I have since discovered, maybe - I haven't done a full scale experiment, that buttermilk will have the same effect except it is easier to swallow.

                                                       **************
I used to make the most delicious bread using honey, buttermilk and several different flours made from different grains.  Now, you can make delicious bread using only water, flour, yeast and sugar.  Delicious bread.  Now tell me -- why is commercial white bread so tasteless?  I mean, flour, water, yeast, sugar -- you need these and only these to make bread.  What is missing or added that makes Wonderbread so yukky?  Like they do it on purpose -- making an effort to make bread tasteless.





No comments: